Sunday 12 October 2014

Delphine skirt in Love at First Stitch by Tilly Walnes...

This is the last of those 9 projects I showed last week!



The Delphine skirt is a pattern by Tilly Walnes at Tilly and the Buttons.
http://www.tillyandthebuttons.com/  
She was also on the sewing bee if you remember! 

The pattern was also featured in her lovely book, Love at First Stitch...



The skirt was also featured on the front cover! Proof of how lovely it is!



Here it is. I made a simple version just to get to grips with the pattern. It's rare that I stick to the pattern entirely, but I trusted this would be a good one, so I tried extra hard to be faithful to the instructions. Here are some detail pictures of the skirt...


The waistband,




Ok so The pattern called for an invisible zip. I didn't have one. So I stitched in a regular zip, and put a flap over it. Guess I didn't stay as true to the pattern as I'd hoped!




I also added a hook at the top to prevent the flap from literally flapping around!







I fully lined the skirt, as the cotton I was using wasn't sturdy enough for the A-line shape. 




I used french seams on the entire skirt for two reasons. 
1. To add to the strength of the garment. 
2. To enhance the A-line shape.




I did have to add some darts on the hips. I'm rather overly blessed on the bottom half, and I had to grade between two sizes. I wasn't sure what to do on the hips as mine are awkwardly sized. But adding in a dart wasn't an issue for me.







Fitting in the waistband facing to the zip wasn't as neat as I wanted it to be. 
But there's always next time!



I loved making this pattern, and I will definitely be making it again. I'll even allow you to see a photo of me wearing it!




Apologies for the bad poses/photography/lighting etc...I took the pics whilst staying at a hotel for the Grand Designs show, where my skirt made its debut appearance :)

Now the question is, do I add some buttons to this? I've got 6 round gold buttons ready to go on, but I don't know whether to just leave it as it is, and make another one....or to alter this one? Any ideas?

Until next time!





2 comments:

  1. Your delphine is lovely! i'm so glad i'm not the only one who improvised on the zip!
    it looks lovely
    Frankie
    xxx
    http://www.knitwits-owls.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Frankie! I have since sewn on some buttons, but I'm not 100% on them. Blog post to follow soon!

      Delete